Friday, July 18, 2014

Orange plaid doesn't have to be tacky

I've been so neck deep in trying to get my orange and plaid gala dress finished by Costume College, that I have been terrible about documenting it. Here are some pictures so you can see a little bit of what I have been doing. Unfortunately, one of the main things I have been doing, is undoing. I lined the overskirt in orange to match the plaid and it was just obnoxious.
From the House of Home Depot
I had also lined the bodice in this yellow orange cotton, thinking it wouldn't be seen, but the edges of the front closure and parts of the back pleats could be seen, so that had to go too.
Nobody will see my ugly , pilly, nasty lining right? Right?
I found this dress at the thrift store and snatched it up for the fabric.
Not silk, but not bad

So I completely ripped the linings out and redid them in this silver. You can see a little of it peeping out through the overskirt folds.
Seriously, the silver just hushes those loud colors down a smidge


I also had some of this mystery stuff in my stash
Why yes mystery stuff, I will use you for something someday. See. I'm not a hoarder dammit.
I don't know what it is made up, or what it is for, but I sewed it inside the hem of my skirt to help stiffen it and keep it from collapsing in.
One of the rare proof photographs that show me actually using my machine.
I also had to unstitch all my hooks and eyes from the original bodice lining and I need to sew them back in now that I have switched out the lining.
Please excuse the ugly hand stiched eyes. That will be cleaned up in post.
I still have a long way to go and oh so very few days to do it in, but here's a little sneak preview of this puppy.
It's very small on purpose, because I still want to have a big reveal.

Lots of lessons learned on this project. First and foremost; assume everything will end up being seen and don't cut corners in the beginning or it will bite you in the bustle later.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished gown at CoCo, and hope to take your photo. I do the Caught on Camera exhibit there. I think the orange plaid is beautiful, and I'm sure I won't miss you. ;)
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That would be fantastic. Now, I'm super extra motivated to get it done.

      Delete